Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bonnaroo - 1

I wanted to write this up sooner, but I was fairly busy looking for work and trying to still hold on to those things which relieved a majority of the stress in my life.
So, now I have some spare time and I will try to get down as much as I can still remember.

-=-

Early in the spring of 2008 Brandon was mentioning something about a music festival he was thinking of going to with our mutual friend Zach. He listed a few of the bands that were going to be there some of which I was familiar, and others that I had only heard of... so it goes with music. Metallica, Pearl Jam, The Raconteurs, Lez Zeppelin.. Oh really?!? oh... Lez... The Allman Brothers (Who ended up canceling, sad), Iron & Wine, Kanye West?, Sigur Ros, The Swell Season, My Morning Jacket, Death Cab for Cutie, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, and Aimee Man... to name 12... which is a fraction of the bands that were there.

Chris Rock, Mike Berbiglia, and David Cross (Canceled) were also scheduled.
They would camp out there and spend the weekend (Thursday-Sunday) going between the different stages listening to the groups. It sounded great, but the sounded like brandon wasn't really presenting me with an invitation, so I just told him, "That sounds cool, man." and I thought that was it.

A couple months later it the festival came up again in conversation and everybody who was there was asked if they were interested in going. I definitely was, and so I started making plans and getting ready to take time off from work. Lucky me, I got laid off so I didn't have to take ANY time off! YAY!
Hurray!... Woohoo.

...

Skip to the end... After a few months Bonnaroo was less than a week away. Days before we were going to leave half of the group found out that they couldn't go. This sucked... but there wasn't really anything we could do to help them. So we ended u0p with out final group. Me, Zach, Brandon, and Chelsea (Brandon's GF). We decided to take car because it is of holy make and we knew that it would serve us well. *(spoiler... it did. I love what you do for me.)*

Bonnaroo takes played near Manchester... near? I think it is in Manchester... Anyway, Manchester, TN. So that is a ~24 hour drive, either consecutive hours or whatever...
Chelsea's Mother is afraid for her safety with 3 virile young men such as we, so her mother contacted a friend that actually lived in manchester and arranged for Chelsea to sleep. These plans for her were laid down and agreed upon... then they called me to see IF it would be okay for her to take the care back and forth between the friends home and the festival... So... My option are: A)to say yeah, that is fine I guess.

Lame. I don't want to sound like I am unwilling to let people borrow my car or whatever, but... I dunno... something int he back of my head was telling me that was going to cause a bunch of problems. So I really didn't want to, but they had already made my bed so I lied in it and said I didn't have a problem. *Sigh* Wait to see how that turns out*

This was what I labeled as sign *A1 for things that were going to bother me about having Brandon's Girlfriend there.

... I guess I should give a general idea of who Brandon's girlfriend was without giving it away to somebody who doesn't actually KNOW brandon.

Pros: She is a little younger, and she is perky and chearfull, and she participated in beauty pagents (I can't remember the exact detail, if she was in a specific one, or muliple pageants or what...) Did I say Pros? I meant cons... yeah...Cons.

Real Pros: She knows about video games and movies, so she isn't that bad.



I actually like Chelsea a lot, but I just don't like spending a lot of time around her... Kind of like how I like sunshine, but I can only take SO much, ya know? like when you wake up and the sun is already out (those were the days) and you despise it and wish it were raining.

Chelsea is kind of like that, and on top of that friends don't USUALLY like their friends girlfriends, especially when said girlfriend take up almost all of your friend's time. (You know, like when your friend just disappears and it always 'busy')

Back to Bonnaroo. We make some purchases like snacks and drinks for the ride there as well as for our camp so that we don't go overboard on spending. As long as chelsea is going back and forth between this house and camp we figure she can bring us some cold supplies as well.. So that worked out pretty well.

I purchased a Cal Berkley hat for the single reason of protecting me from the tyrannical sun and I like the color... I only mention this because I am wearing it in most of the picture I will post up, so I am not especially a Berkley fan. One person, as I predicted, walked up to me (drunk) and said, "Berkley, huh?" to which I responded, "Go Golden Bears!" (written on the back of the hat) and then had to explain that I didn't go there, live there, or have any loyalty to the school. Sorry drunk sir.

We made certain to purchase a large amount of energy drinks to help us stay awake when we wanted... to. For me energy drinks have the same energizing effect as a glass of cold water, only I start feeling much more sleepy minutes after drinking one.

Loaded up everything and set off.

No comments: